Re: New user: Windows, Postgresql, Python - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New user: Windows, Postgresql, Python
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi,
> I'm just starting to look at Postgresql. My platform (for better or
> worse) is Windows, and I'm quite interested in the pl/python support.
> However, when I run the binary installer, it is not offered
> to me as an option (it's there, but greyed out). The
> plpython.dll file is installed, however.
>
> When I check, it looks like plpython.dll is linked against
> Python 2.3. I have Python 2.4 installed on my PC, and I don't
> really want to downgrade.
>
> I suppose my first (lazy) question is, is there a Python 2.4
> compatible plpython.dll available anywhere? Alternatively, is
> there a way I can build one for myself? I'm happy enough
> doing my own build (I have mingw and msys available), but I'd
> rather not build the whole of postgresql if possible, just
> for the sake of one DLL....

Not that I know of. IFF the libraries export the same entrypoints
without changing things, you could try just copying "python24.dll" to
"python23.dll". I don't know how the Python guys are with binary
compatibility, though. Might be worth a shot.

On a different note, can't you have both python 2.3 *and* 2.4 on the
asme system? Considering they put the version number in the filename, it
seems this should be possible?

//Magnus