Re: psql \e broken again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: psql \e broken again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >> Agreed, no quotes on Unix.  I'm just wondering what to do
> on Windows.
>
> > I don't think I've seen a single windows program that uses
> the EDITOR
> > variable. There are some ported unix tools, but that's it. Native
> > windows program will have a per-program setting for this.
> The system
> > default is picked based on file extension. So I doubt it
> will break a
> > lot of things.
>
> So are you in favor of not quoting at all --- ie, reverting
> to the Unix behavior?  I'm pretty sure that psql got changed
> because someone complained, so it seems like we'd be going in
> circles if we just do that and don't have any special
> behavior at all on Windows.

Not really sure. In my case it would be acceptable to have it require me
to put the quotes in the environment variable, since I've never seen any
other programs use it. It just needs to be clearly documented somehow
(and didn't it cause a psql *crash* before? That's certainly not
acceptable, it has to kick out an error msg).

Should probably be checked with the guy who had the original complaint,
though.

The second choice solution would probably be to do the quoting but only
on windows.

//Magnus