Re: Win32 Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Win32 Question
Date
List pgsql-general
> Please forgive me if I'm posting to the wrong mailing list. I
> am working with Windows XP and the beta2-dev3 version of
> PostgreSQL. The issue I am having is under a login name that
> has administrative rights to the machine the program is
> running on (a program I wrote), database access is allowed
> and the program works fine. However, I cannot use any of the
> command line tools that come packaged with PostgreSQL
> (pgAdmin III runs but I get errors when trying to do any
> database work). When I'm logged in as a "lesser" user, I can
> use the command line tools but, the program will not run. The
> specific error message is "The driver cannot be loaded due to
> system error 998 (PostgreSQL)". This may not be word for word
> but it is close. Has anyone experienced this? Is this normal
> behavior? Is there anyway around this?
> Thanks for the help!

Do you by any chance have more than one libpq.dll on your system? That
these users might pick up in a different order because of different
PATHs or permissions? (Error 998 is "Invalid access to memory location",
which is exactly the kind of symptoms we've seen with invalid
libpq.dll:s, though I've never seen it reported as an errorcode before)

There is a problem in beta2 (and beta-3) with two conflicting versions
of libpq.dll on the system - the mingw built one is not compatible with
the msvc built. This has been fixed in cvs and will be in the next
version of the installer. The bug is in the mingw DLL generation
process.

//Magnus