Re: Interface of the R-tree in order to work with postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From J. Andrew Rogers
Subject Re: Interface of the R-tree in order to work with postgresql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Oct 9, 2006, at 7:21 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:15:58AM -0500, jorge alberto wrote:
>> I want to know how can I add a new spatial access method into the
>> postgresql
>> (I'm doing research on spatial access methods( reading a lot of
>> papers and
>> programming a lot too ) but also I want to know how can I add my
>> new data
>> structure( if someday i get it, of course =) ) in the postgresql,
>> I mean
>> where can i find the .h that describes the interface that a
>> spatial access
>> method, like the R-tree, must have in order to work with postgresql.
>
> I would start by reading the documentation, specifically the part
> about
> "GiST". Once you have understood the concept and code there, go to
> reading the rtree code in the backend. That should answer almost all
> your questions.

Index Access Methods (Ch. 48) for a more general interface may also
be useful, since he implies that R-Tree is not the only spatial
access method he is interested in.  While some spatial access
methods, such as R-Tree, are well-suited for a GiST implementation,
it is not a particularly appropriate access method (assumption
mismatch) for some other interesting spatial index types that a
researcher might be interested in implementing.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers (who is also implementing new spatial indexes...)
jrogers@neopolitan.com