Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: pg_dump exclusion switches and functions/types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 12:07:29PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 06:22:19PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:

> > > I don't know, it sounds like it's the source of the confusion you
> > > identify later.
> > >
> > > My first thought is that the rule should be to apply all the
> > > inclusion switches (implicitly including everything if there are
> > > none), then apply all the exclusion switches.
> >
> > +1 :)
> >
> > Order-dependent switches are a giant foot gun.
>
> They're also very powerful, as anyone who's ever used them in a
> non-trivial rsync (or rdiff-backup) scenareo can tell you. What if
> you want to exclude all of a schema except for a few objects
> (granted, right now we're limited to just tables...)?

You make an important distinction here, and thanks for doing that. :)

IMHO, order-dependent switches are appropriate for a configuration
file and inappropriate for the command line.  The pg_hba.conf file is
a great example of a place where order dependence is a good idea.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!