Re: postmaster grows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postmaster grows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Max Vaschenko <max@nino.ru> writes:
> [ postmaster leaks memory when using password authentication ]

You are right!  The postmaster leaks memory to the tune of a few dozen
bytes per password authentication attempt.  I'm surprised no one noticed
this before.  People must not be using password auth under heavy load...

Attached is a patch to fix it in 7.0.*.

            regards, tom lane

*** src/backend/libpq/crypt.c.orig    Sat Jul 17 16:17:01 1999
--- src/backend/libpq/crypt.c    Wed Feb  7 18:40:01 2001
***************
*** 59,64 ****
--- 59,65 ----
      bufsize = strlen(pwdfilename) + strlen(CRYPT_PWD_RELOAD_SUFX) + 1;
      rpfnam = (char *) palloc(bufsize);
      snprintf(rpfnam, bufsize, "%s%s", pwdfilename, CRYPT_PWD_RELOAD_SUFX);
+     pfree(pwdfilename);

      return rpfnam;
  }
***************
*** 79,84 ****
--- 80,87 ----
      pwdfile = AllocateFile(filename, "rb");
  #endif

+     pfree(filename);
+
      return pwdfile;
  }

*** 131,136 ****
--- 134,140 ----

      filename = crypt_getpwdreloadfilename();
      result = unlink(filename);
+     pfree(filename);

      /*
       * We want to delete the flag file before reading the contents of the