Re: Re[2]: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re[2]: WTF is going on with PG_VERSION?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Alexey V. Borzov" <borz_off@rdw.ru> writes:
> Greetings.
> Monday, September 18, 2000, 10:38:37 PM, you wrote:
>>> ��� 18 15:53:06 arbat logger: FATAL 1:  File '/var/lib/pgsql/PG_VERSION' does not exist or no read permission.
>>>
>>> Well, '/var/lib/pgsql/PG_VERSION' does exist, it has read permission
>>> for user 'postgres' (I made it world readable, in fact, after I
>>> discovered this).

There is also supposed to be a PG_VERSION file in each database
subdirectory.  For example, on my setup:

$ find /opt/postgres -name 'PG_VERSION'
/opt/postgres/data/base/template1/PG_VERSION
/opt/postgres/data/base/tree/PG_VERSION
/opt/postgres/data/base/play/PG_VERSION
/opt/postgres/data/PG_VERSION

If you accidentally deleted one of these per-database PG_VERSION files
then future connects to that database would fail with the above
message.  To recover (assuming that was your only mistake), copy the
top-level PG_VERSION into the subdirectory.

            regards, tom lane