Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Seems like that'd just mask a different set of failures.

> Yeah. I think I'd be more concerned by core regression failures than
> contrib build failures - especially as they are often likely to have
> more far reaching consequences.

Agreed.  I guess that the order of importance of the pieces you have is

    build main (this includes building PLs)
    run main tests
    run PL tests
    build contrib
    run contrib tests

I'm not sure where the proposed-to-be-added multibyte regression tests
go in this order.  On practical grounds I would put them last; I rather
suspect that porting failures in that code will be rare.  Could be wrong
though.

It's slightly annoying that the PLs are built as part of the main build;
I would rather run the main tests and then try to build and test the PLs
(that is, the ones that have external dependencies --- plpgsql can be
treated as part of the core for our purposes here).  Not sure if it's
worth hacking the makefiles to make that possible.

            regards, tom lane