Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fixing REL7_3_STABLE build issues
Date
List pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>>Yeah. I think I'd be more concerned by core regression failures than
>>contrib build failures - especially as they are often likely to have
>>more far reaching consequences.
>>

>Agreed.  I guess that the order of importance of the pieces you have is
>
>    build main (this includes building PLs)
>    run main tests
>    run PL tests
>    build contrib
>    run contrib tests

That's almost what we do, but it's a bit more complex. Slightly
simplified, the sequence runs something like this (PL checks only run on
HEAD or branches >8.0):

  configure
  make
  make check
  cd contrib && make
  make install
  cd $installdir && bin/initdb --no-locale data
  cd $installdir && bin/pg_ctl -D data -w start
  make installcheck
  cd src/pl && make installcheck
  cd contrib && make installcheck
  cd $installdir && bin/pg_ctl -D data stop

>I'm not sure where the proposed-to-be-added multibyte regression tests
>go in this order.  On practical grounds I would put them last; I rather
>suspect that porting failures in that code will be rare.  Could be wrong
>though.

Yes, that makes sense. I don't know when I'll get time to make that
happen though.

>It's slightly annoying that the PLs are built as part of the main build;
>I would rather run the main tests and then try to build and test the PLs
>(that is, the ones that have external dependencies --- plpgsql can be
>treated as part of the core for our purposes here).  Not sure if it's
>worth hacking the makefiles to make that possible.

I don't think so.

cheers

andrew