Re: BUG #3363: Unable to load a plugin/library using -c switch to the psql - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject Re: BUG #3363: Unable to load a plugin/library using -c switch to the psql
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 6/5/07, Douglas Toltzman <doug@oakstreetsoftware.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure about the Windows shell, but the bash shell will convert
> $libdir before handing it off to psql.

I am actually using MinGW, so no I am not using Windows shell but a bash
shell compiled for Windows.

Yes, it was actually the bash, interpreting the $ symbol in a special way,
hence the problem. I tried the following (notice \$ , escaping $ sign ) and
now it works...

$ psql postgres test -X -c "load '\$libdir/plugins/index_adviser.dll';"
NOTICE:  IND ADV: Loaded; PID: 4968
LOAD

Had I been using the Windows shell, I wouldn't have faced this problem :)

Thanks for the pointer....

not a bug

Is it possible that $libdir has a different meaning in psql than it does to
> the shell?
> On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> Bug reference:      3363
> Logged by:          Gurjeet Singh
> Email address:      singh.gurjeet@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3devel
> Operating system:   Windows
> psql
> Details:
>
> The following command fails:
>
> psql postgres test -X -c "load '$libdir/plugins/index_adviser.dll';"
>
>     Here, 'test' user (non-superuser) is trying to connect to 'postgres'
> database, and wishes to load a plugin as the first step.
>
>     But if the same 'load' command is fired by the same user after log-in
> using psql, then the command succeeds.
>
> postgres=3D> load '$libdir/plugins/index_adviser.dll';
> NOTICE:  IND ADV: Loaded; PID: 1164
> LOAD
> postgres=3D>

> *Douglas Toltzman*
> doug@oakstreetsoftware.com
> (910) 526-5938

--=20
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com

17=B029'34.37"N  78=B030'59.76"E - Hyderabad *
18=B032'57.25"N  73=B056'25.42"E - Pune

Sent from my BlackLaptop device