Re: Insert NULL for '' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Insert NULL for ''
Date
List pgsql-general
Mike Mascari <mascarm@mascari.com> writes:
> What would be really neat is the ability of CREATE CAST to override
> the default implementation and at the same time let the override call
> the "base" implementation, if necessary.

That would not help Daniel, because there is no cast here.  You've got
an untyped string literal which is going to be directly interpreted as
a constant of the destination column's datatype.

There are any number of easy ways to fix this if we were allowed to
change the SQL being spit out by the application ... but that's exactly
what he doesn't feel he can do.

            regards, tom lane