Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date
Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]  (The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2003-06-13 at 01:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > On Thursday 12 June 2003 13:29, Justin Clift wrote:
> >> Getting involvement in this from the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing
> >> group would be extremely beneficial as well, as it's presently lacking
> >> vision, coherent plans and goals to bring the vision to reality, and
> >> consistent effort by all but a handful of members.  Good leadership +
> >> direction would be welcome there and should be included in the PostgreSQL
> >> "core" group as well.
>
> > Is Marc or Bruce not a part of the 'Advocacy and Marketing Group' already?
> > Let the Advocacy and Marketing group make their suggestions in the open forum
> > of Hackers and see what is thought of it, just like everything else that has
> > been done to this database.  There are five people on core; their skilset is
> > varied enough to where any single point of view isn't dominant.
>
> Actually I think Justin has a point: the core team consists of hackers.
> I believe we do a decent job of leading technical development of
> Postgres, but we're not well-qualified to lead marketing efforts.

Tom, you may not be qualified, but you have an uncanny ability to give
sage advice ;-)

> It doesn't, however, follow that adding some marketing experts to core
> would improve matters.  I think it'd just fragment our attention.
> There's an advocacy/marketing group in place already, and it seems to
> me they should just take the ball and run with it.  They don't need
> core's approval to do the things they can do well.

But we do need core's approval to add legitimacy to our efforts,
especially with some of the "marketing is bad" folks that live on
-hackers.  We also need core's approval to get infrastructure changes
put into place to help our efforts.

> I wouldn't mind seeing a "core marketing" team evolve to parallel the
> existing "core technical" team.  But it won't happen by vote.  To the
> extent that the hackers community listens to core on technical issues,
> it's because we've achieved respect by hard work.  The core marketing
> team has to step forward and win their credibility the same way.

This overlooks the fact that you can't earn credibility with some of our
community unless you hack on the back-end. The uproar over the 7.3 press
release was a fine example of what happens when the "advocacy" guys try
to make a change to something non-technical that the "technical" guys
don't approve of.

Robert Treat