Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]
Date
Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]  (Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>)
Re: [HACKERS] SAP and MySQL ... [and Benchmark]  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-general
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 13:29, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Getting involvement in this from the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing
>> group would be extremely beneficial as well, as it's presently lacking
>> vision, coherent plans and goals to bring the vision to reality, and
>> consistent effort by all but a handful of members.  Good leadership +
>> direction would be welcome there and should be included in the PostgreSQL
>> "core" group as well.

> Is Marc or Bruce not a part of the 'Advocacy and Marketing Group' already?
> Let the Advocacy and Marketing group make their suggestions in the open forum
> of Hackers and see what is thought of it, just like everything else that has
> been done to this database.  There are five people on core; their skilset is
> varied enough to where any single point of view isn't dominant.

Actually I think Justin has a point: the core team consists of hackers.
I believe we do a decent job of leading technical development of
Postgres, but we're not well-qualified to lead marketing efforts.

It doesn't, however, follow that adding some marketing experts to core
would improve matters.  I think it'd just fragment our attention.
There's an advocacy/marketing group in place already, and it seems to
me they should just take the ball and run with it.  They don't need
core's approval to do the things they can do well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "core marketing" team evolve to parallel the
existing "core technical" team.  But it won't happen by vote.  To the
extent that the hackers community listens to core on technical issues,
it's because we've achieved respect by hard work.  The core marketing
team has to step forward and win their credibility the same way.

            regards, tom lane