Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Postgres performance comments from a MySQL user
Date
List pgsql-general
Actually this sounds like a good idea to me.

Type: <popular app #1>, <popular app #2>, OLAP, OLTP?
Server: Small, Regular, Large.

That way one can see a pattern and have a better guess of how to tune
things. My concern is not so much of getting things perfectly right. It's
more like avoiding "terribly wrong" settings e.g. postgresql running many
times slower than it could on a given system.

I mean how would one tune for single user, huge (e.g. stuff >>  mem, cache)
aggregating selects vs tuning for many users, lots of updates? How about
tuning for big inserts/COPYs? How should the WAL logs be adjusted if at
all? Would bumping up sort mem help if the stuff you're sorting is a lot
more than the RAM you have?

Link.