Re: is there a psql equivilent of fsck? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: is there a psql equivilent of fsck?
Date
List pgsql-general
bench@silentmedia.com (Ben) writes:
> We recently installed and populated a new postgres 7.3 server, which
> was quickly abused with a good 12 hours of 115-degree heat. Now, we
> see ~1000 rows missing from a single table, and given our application,
> a delete of those rows seems a very remote possibility. Is there some
> database analogy to fsck I can run?
>
> FWIW the hardware raid claims everything is just fine.

What we tend to use when we run into such situations is:
  "VACUUM VERBOSE ANALYZE;"

This walks through all tables and indices in the database, and seeks
to clean them up.  If the disk has been mussed up, this will tend to
terminate with suitably scary looking error messages.

FYI, is there some particular reason why you went with PostgreSQL 7.3?
That's almost five years old, which is like (hmm... (* 5 6)) thirty
years old in "Internet Years."  That's, like, way, way, way obsolete.

We haven't been quick about jumping onto fresh new releases - we only
got to 8.1 this year, when 8.2 is now *last* year's flavour.
Nonetheless, we got rid of our last 7.3 instance several years ago...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/x.html