Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 21, 2008, at 12:53, Josh Berkus wrote:

> In the specific cases of pl/proxy and citext, they are very much in
> line with what we already package with the core code, including
> things like dblink, ISN, and CIDR.  citext in particular would
> eliminate a long-time newbie complaint about Postgres, but not if
> it's in an add-in package which the user can't find binaries for.
>
> So I would argue "maybe" on pl/proxy, but that citext does belong in
> core.

This is my view, as well. If it was in contrib, it'd go a long way
toward addressing a commonly-requested feature, whereas things are
much more difficult to find on pgFoundry. pgFoundry ain't the CPAN,
alas. Even if users do find it in pgFoundry, the fact that it isn't in
core is more likely to be seen as a red flag at this point. One might
ask, why isn't it in core? What's wrong with it? Why is something that
seems so useful relegated to pgFoundry? What's the usual quality of
code on pgFoundry?

Thanks for your consideration!

Best,

David