Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From B. van Ouwerkerk
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
>a contractor, or an employee of a contractor, and, as I previosuly
>mentioned, the scenario where an ISP, by hosting a web site with a
>database backend, has a database in the same holding area as is held all
>the databases of all of the ISP's clients who similarly have web sites
>with database backends.

I have yet to see security issues from storing at the same place.

>There is also the issue of security, in the same context; I would feel
>much more secure, with a database hosted by an ISP, if I could control
>the privileges on the database directory, rather than allowing the ISP
>the control.

An ISP can grant you that priv:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-grant.html
Almost the same trick works with MySQL.

>As an example, on a personal basis, if I ever get the number of names in
>my genealogy system, up to around 10,000, I would really want, if using
>a database backend (which would, I believe, be required), to have
>control over where the data is stored, so that I can easily and reliably
>back it up, as such data can be unreplaceable, and can take decades to
>accumulate.

If you're running MySQL look at something like mysqldump. When running
PostgreSQL the information is here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/backup.html

>Similarly, for commercial databases, now that DVD's are writable,
>backing up a largish database, using OS backing up, would be much
>better, and moreso, witth the data for a database, stored where it is
>wanted.

Most running databases wouldn't like it if the backup is created with
something like tar. IMO the best way is to use the tools provided with the
product. You can create a dump with whatever tool provided and write that
dump to CD-RW/DVD/whatever.

>I am not sure whether it can all be done with symbolic links, to place
>PostgreSQL databases where a (OS, not DBMS) user or developer or DBA
>wants them to be stored, but I suggest that provision should exist for a
>person to determine where the person's (as owner of the database)
>database file(s) exist, for security, backing up, etc.

And then you hit the hard limit set by quota :-)
Even if you think you can do it yourself you will have to persuade your
ISP/admin/whatever to create a symbolic link (even if that would be
possible and what you want).

B.