Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys
Date
Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>> In answer to your question, though my opinion carries no special
>> weight at
>> all, I would suggest adding a bare bones 16-byte data type to core
>> and a
>> second binary-compatible data type based on it that parsed/output
>> as uuids.
>> The extended uuid libraries should only go in pgfoundry/contrib.
> I second that.

+1. If there's enough user demand we can look at adding the type to
core (I don't see any real advantage to contrib over pgFoundry for
this). I'm not sure if it makes sense to add a generic 16 byte RAW to
core, either. I'd *much* rather see effort expended on a generic RAW
type which had it's size defined as part of the type and didn't use
varlena.