Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Saturday 08 July 2006 14:54, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2006, at 4:02 PM, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> >> In answer to your question, though my opinion carries no special
> >> weight at
> >> all, I would suggest adding a bare bones 16-byte data type to core
> >> and a
> >> second binary-compatible data type based on it that parsed/output
> >> as uuids.
> >> The extended uuid libraries should only go in pgfoundry/contrib.
> >
> > I second that.
>
> +1. If there's enough user demand we can look at adding the type to
> core (I don't see any real advantage to contrib over pgFoundry for
> this).

The advantage of contrib over pgFoundry is that it will be packaged by the
major distributions. Every distribution includes a package of the contrib
modules.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--   === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===
Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240  Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/