Re: DROP OWNED CASCADE vs Temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DROP OWNED CASCADE vs Temp tables
Date
Re: DROP OWNED CASCADE vs Temp tables  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2020-Jan-07, Mithun Cy wrote:
>> I have a test where a user creates a temp table and then disconnect,
>> concurrently we try to do DROP OWNED BY CASCADE on the same user. Seems
>> this causes race condition between temptable deletion during disconnection
>> (@RemoveTempRelations(myTempNamespace)) and DROP OWNED BY CASCADE operation
>> which will try to remove same temp table when they find them as part of
>> pg_shdepend.

> Cute.

Is this really any worse than any other attempt to issue two DROPs against
the same object concurrently?  Maybe we can just call it pilot error.

> This seems fiddly to handle better; maybe you'd have to have a new
> PERFORM_DELETION_* flag that says to ignore "missing" objects; so when
> you go from shdepDropOwned, you pass that flag all the way down to
> doDeletion(), so the objtype-specific function is called with
> "missing_ok", and ignore if the object has already gone away.  That's
> tedious because none of the Remove* functions have the concept of
> missing_ok.

That seems fundamentally wrong.  By the time we've queued an object for
deletion in dependency.c, we have a lock on it, and we've verified that
the object is still there (cf. systable_recheck_tuple calls).
If shdepDropOwned is doing it differently, I'd say shdepDropOwned is
doing it wrong.