Re: Making plpython 2 and 3 coexist a bit better - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Making plpython 2 and 3 coexist a bit better
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/11/16 1:00 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> There's at least one PL/Java implementation that does that.  The
> interprocess communication overhead is pretty awful, IIRC.  Don't know
> what they do about nested calls.

You'd think that pipes wouldn't be that much overhead...

>> >Obviously this is a lot more work than what you're proposing though.:(
> Yeah.  I think what I'm suggesting is a back-patchable fix, which that
> certainly wouldn't be.

Yeah, and it sounds like we need one.

> The question of whether to do ERROR or FATAL remains open.  I'm not sure
> I have a strong preference either way.

If they both get loaded is there risk of bad data happening? Personally,
I'll take a traceable FATAL (or even PANIC) over data corruption every
time. But I'm guessing that if you tried to use both you'd pretty
immediately end up crashing the backend.