Re: Dump/Transfer Sequence Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Schwarzer
Subject Re: Dump/Transfer Sequence Problems
Date
List pgsql-general

>>> I think you'll probably have to ask the navicat people.
>>>
>>> If you want to use pg_dump to transfer data from 8.1 to 8.2
>>> though, use the version of pg_dump that ships with 8.2.
>> Ok, tried that.... Not yet mentioned is the fact that I am trying
>> to import postgis tables (tables with geographic parameter).
>
> OK, might well be relevant. Your error below though is nothing to do
> with a sequence.
>
>> But I get this:
>> pg_restore: restoring data for table "admin01"
>> pg_restore: restoring data for table "boundaries_national"
>> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server
>> closed the connection unexpectedly
>
> What this indicates is that something in the backend went bang while
> copying the data into boundaries_national. Shouldn't happen. I'm
> assuming that table contains postGIS data?

Yes.

> Could you try dumping & restoring just that one table?

I tried that one too. But same thing.

> Then, could you make a copy of the table, but with only a few rows
> in it and dump/restore that? That should tell us whether there is a
> particular value that is causing the problem.
>
>>    This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>    before or while processing the request.
>> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>> The log (where can I change the parameters?) says this:
>> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "pg_restore" at character 1
>> STATEMENT:  pg_restore -U ss_admin -d geodataportal -v /Users/
>> schwarzer/Temp/pg_dump.gridca.2008-04-10.gis.c.sql
>> There again, when I look into the dump file, it seems that it
>> doesn't include any statement to create the sequence...
>
> This is a separate problem.
>
> If you run the pg_restore above without the "-d geodataportal" but
> with --schema-only it should print to stdout all the schema-related
> stuff.

Don't know if the problem occured because I hadn't dumped and restored
my data as postgres, but as another postgres-user. Now, it works. But
I re-installed/compiled postgres/postgis, so, can't really say why it
works now...

Thanks a lot for your help.