Re: Dump/Transfer Sequence Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Dump/Transfer Sequence Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>>> I am using Navicat to transfer data from one database to another. But
>>> it soon gives me an error message like the following:
>>
>> I think you'll probably have to ask the navicat people.
>>
>> If you want to use pg_dump to transfer data from 8.1 to 8.2 though,
>> use the version of pg_dump that ships with 8.2.
>
> Ok, tried that.... Not yet mentioned is the fact that I am trying to
> import postgis tables (tables with geographic parameter).

OK, might well be relevant. Your error below though is nothing to do
with a sequence.

> But I get this:
>
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "admin01"
> pg_restore: restoring data for table "boundaries_national"
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] error returned by PQputCopyData: server
> closed the connection unexpectedly

What this indicates is that something in the backend went bang while
copying the data into boundaries_national. Shouldn't happen. I'm
assuming that table contains postGIS data?

Could you try dumping & restoring just that one table?
Then, could you make a copy of the table, but with only a few rows in it
and dump/restore that? That should tell us whether there is a particular
value that is causing the problem.

>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>     before or while processing the request.
> pg_restore: *** aborted because of error
>
> The log (where can I change the parameters?) says this:
>
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "pg_restore" at character 1
> STATEMENT:  pg_restore -U ss_admin -d geodataportal -v
> /Users/schwarzer/Temp/pg_dump.gridca.2008-04-10.gis.c.sql
>
> There again, when I look into the dump file, it seems that it doesn't
> include any statement to create the sequence...

This is a separate problem.

If you run the pg_restore above without the "-d geodataportal" but with
--schema-only it should print to stdout all the schema-related stuff.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd