Re: Re: Server tries to read a different config file than it is supposed to - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Re: Server tries to read a different config file than it is supposed to
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/23/2015 08:23 AM, twoflower wrote:
>     Testing this, the problem appears to be that you forgot the keyword
>     "start", so pg_ctl didn't really do anything.
>
> I am sorry, that was just a mistake on my part here, it is in the script.
>
>     I suspect this was left over from some previous attempt.
>
> It doesn't look like it. I tried several times, always looked in the log
> file after that. The timestamp also suggests it was a result of my
> attempts.

So on my Ubuntu installs it does not set up the postgres user to allow login, so how are you getting to:

su postgres -c ...

Have you overridden the Ubuntu settings or created your own postgres user?

The reason I ask is that I can the below to work on Ubuntu 14.04:

aklaver@arkansas:~/postgres_test$ sudo su postgres -c "/usr/lib/postgresql/9.4/bin/pg_ctl -D
/home/aklaver/postgres_test/9.4/main/-o '-c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.4/main/postgresql.conf' start"
server starting

aklaver@arkansas:~/postgres_test$ 2015-05-23 14:02:15 PDT [20033-1] LOG:  database system was shut down at 2015-05-23
13:49:04PDT
2015-05-23 14:02:15 PDT [20037-1] LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
2015-05-23 14:02:15 PDT [20032-1] LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections