Re: multiple psql commands in batch - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Daniel T. Staal
Subject Re: multiple psql commands in batch
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, June 2, 2006 2:28 pm, Tobias Boes said:
> G'Day all,
>
> i know that this issues was discussed multiple time, but i still stuck in
> processing multiple pgsql commands in a DOS batch file.
> I want to create a user, than a database with the following command:
> C:\financial-planner\pgsql\bin\psql.exe -U postgres  <
> create_user_and_db.sql
>
> this scceeds. in the create_user_and_db.sql I stored the SQL-commands to
> setup the database and the database user.
> but afterwards I want to switch to "mydatabase" and process the create
> table statements. In the pgsql shell I can switch to "mydatabase" with the
> following command:
> \c mydatabase
> but how can I run mulitple pgsql commands in a batch job? After loads of
> reading I'm still not able to do this.
> Any help is really appreciated!
> Thanks,
> Tobias

The switch you are looking for is '-d'.  Use like such:
C:\financial-planner\pgsql\bin\psql.exe -d mydatabase

(With appropriate user and commands, of course.)

I'd move the create table statements to a seperate file, and make another
call from the batch file.

(Otherwise, in this context I believe schema == database, so if you
appended the database name to table names in the SQL creates like this
'mydatabase.mytable' that should work as well.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.