From Tom Lane
Subject Re: increment_by@
Date
List pgsql-general
John Smith <john_smith_45678@yahoo.com> writes:
> This is a follow-up to my previous email. Using
> phppgadmin to look at the sequence causing problems,
> one of the columns is "increment_by@���". How can I
> change it back or otherwise fix it? What happened
> anyhow?

Sounds like a data corruption problem :-(.  You might want to try a
"select * from pg_attribute" and see if any other rows look obviously
bogus.

As for fixing it, you might be able to get away with an ALTER TABLE
RENAME column --- I'm not sure if the system will let you apply that to
a sequence or not, but it'd be worth trying.  Failing that, a direct
UPDATE on the messed-up row of pg_attribute ought to do the trick.

Or you could just drop and recreate the affected sequence.  There's not
all that much state in a sequence ...

            regards, tom lane