Re: Question regarding log files in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Question regarding log files in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/21/2014 02:21 PM, lucas.gary@gmail.com wrote:

> I've rolled postgres to 'production', so box is in prod, but the
> applications aren't active yet.
>
> When I rolled the new box I'm seeing 2 log files:
>
> postgresql-yyyy-MM-dd_hhmmss.log
> AND
> postgresql-9.3-main.log

Are they both in the same location?

I'm going to say you used a Debian/Ubuntu package correct?

> The 'main' log doesn't appear to be used, however the time stamped file is.

That is the log file set up by the packaging system.

> Does this make sense?  Is it normal?

My guess is either:

1) You are running a Debian style package and went into postgresql.conf
and changed the log settings so you are not using the package logging.

or

2) You have/had a Debian package installed and you did a source(or other
install) and you have two logs as a result.

I think it would be a good idea to investigate further for no other
reason than ensure that you really do not have competing systems at
work. Might save you some headaches down the road.

> My logrotate entry makes some assumptions that may be incorrect now.

Another reason to verify what is going on.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com