Re: Question regarding log files in postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David G Johnston
Subject Re: Question regarding log files in postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
lucas.gary@gmail.com wrote
> I've rolled postgres to 'production', so box is in prod, but the
> applications aren't active yet.
>
> When I rolled the new box I'm seeing 2 log files:
>
> postgresql-yyyy-MM-dd_hhmmss.log
> AND
> postgresql-9.3-main.log
>
> The 'main' log doesn't appear to be used, however the time stamped file
> is.
>
> Does this make sense?  Is it normal?
>
> My logrotate entry makes some assumptions that may be incorrect now.
>
> Gary

Likely the main log is the one that is used before any log file settings in
postgres.conf are read in and applied.  Then, once the date tagged format in
postgres.conf is processed that file is used and the main file no longer is
needed.

David J.