Re: Arduino SQL Connector - Mailing list pgsql-general

From vincent elschot
Subject Re: Arduino SQL Connector
Date
List pgsql-general
On 18-04-14 06:21, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 4/17/2014 9:09 PM, Steve Spence wrote:
>> You know what? Fine, it doesn't matter that much to me. I'm happy to
>> continue using MySQL. It works with the Arduino quite nicely. Postgres
>> doesn't work. That's Postgres loss not mine. I really thought the
>> postgres team would be interested in providing support for a very
>> popular microcontroller system. If not, they are missing out on a
>> larger segment of users.
>
> personal opinion:
>
> I don't think a terminal device like a PC or an embedded system should
> be talking directly to SQL at all.   instead, they should be talking
> to an application server which implements the "business logic", and
> THAT talks to the database

+1, especially if the sensors are located off-site, where sysadmins
have a tendency to close ports and filter protocols. HTTP gets through
pretty much any firewall without changes to the payload.
Also; using a native protocol means that the Arduino's must use the same
version
as the server, which means you need a way to upgrade them, all at the
same time.
Yikes.

Nope, I would dearly love to have a native PostgreSQL driver just to
prove it can be done,
but I don't think it is a particularly good idea to actually use in
production environments.