Re: text search vs schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: text search vs schemas
Date
Re: text search vs schemas  ("Trevor Talbot" <quension@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 01:16:22AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> That seems like it'd fix the problem for expression indexes on
>> to_tsvector calls, but I don't see how it fixes the problem for
>> triggers.  We don't have any clear path for making trigger arguments
>> be anything but a list of strings.

> I'm unsure how it works now, but it seems reasonable that when a
> regclass/regtype/regetc is passed to a trigger, pass it in OID form.

If you insist on a solution that involves attaching type information
to trigger arguments, then we can forget about getting tsearch into 8.3.
That's a nontrivial amount of new design and code that hasn't even been
on the radar screen before.

At the moment I feel our thoughts have to revolve not around adding
complexity to tsearch, but taking stuff out.  If we ship it with no
schema support for TS objects in 8.3, we can always add that later,
if there proves to be real demand for that (and I note that the contrib
version has gotten along fine without it).  But we cannot go in the
other direction.