Re: text search vs schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Trevor Talbot
Subject Re: text search vs schemas
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> At the moment I feel our thoughts have to revolve not around adding
> complexity to tsearch, but taking stuff out.  If we ship it with no
> schema support for TS objects in 8.3, we can always add that later,
> if there proves to be real demand for that (and I note that the contrib
> version has gotten along fine without it).  But we cannot go in the
> other direction.

Currently you can schema-qualify objects where you need to, to avoid
issues with search_path subversion.  If it's impossible to
schema-qualify tsearch configs now, when schema support is later added
it suddenly exposes everyone to risks that didn't exist before, and
requires manual changes to fix.

I'm for removing complexity, but per-schema support seems like a
design decision that needs to be made up front, whichever way it goes.