Re: Fwd: Creating multiple instances of postresql on Windows environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Fwd: Creating multiple instances of postresql on Windows environment
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/07/2016 07:27 PM, kaustubh kelkar wrote:

> Hi ,____
>
> I am a PostgreSQL user who wants to create multiple instances of
> PostgreSQL database server. I am using PostgreSQL 9.4 and above. ____
>
> I tried to create more than 2 instances on Linux environment in which I
> was successful. But, for windows environment, I tried with the help of
> pgAdmin4 and with the help of commands (initdb and some more commands.)
> In both cases , there is some issue related to the ports. Please find
> the attached screenshot for the reference.

To run more then one instance of Postgres on one machine each needs its
own port. Have you done that?

The screenshot indicates a different problem, namely pgAdmin(?) cannot
find a running server on port 5434 on the localhost. There can be
several reasons for this:

1) The server is not running, eg the start up script failed.
    Solution: Verify the server has actually started

2) The server is not running on localhost.
    Solution: Verify where it is hosted.

3) It is running on localhost but not on port 5434.
    Solution: Verify that the port variable in postgresql.conf for that
instance is set to 5434 and that the server was restarted to see the change.

3) It is running and is using port 5434, but a firewall rule is blocking
access.
    Solution: Check whether you have a firewall running and whether it is
blocking port 5434.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com