Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2014 11:17 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>>> Although that is obviously your prerogative it is important to remember
>>> that Windows is easily the second most used version of PostgreSQL out
>>> there (behind Linux).
>> [ shrug... ]  If it's so widely used, why is it so hard to find somebody
>> who's willing to put in some development effort for it?

Because Windows developers get paid and have better things to do than
interact with a bunch of Open Source people and their opinions. Let's be
honest, all of us here are not the easiest to work with and we are here
largely due to an ideology. Why would a Windows developer bother?

I know lots of Windows Developers and most of them don't follow anywhere
near the ideology we do. I know very few (read 0) Windows developers
that do it for fun (I am not saying they don't have fun. I am saying
they don't do it for fun). They do it for their career.

Heck, look back through the years at our archives. Nobody really thought
that we would somehow bring windows developers into the fold if we
ported to that platform. It was a market share play and it worked.
However, now we are paying the price for it.

To be perfectly frank, the first thing I do when a customer calls and
says we are on Windows is tell them I will spend our relationship
pushing them to move PostgreSQL to Linux. It works over time for the
most part but not on all.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--