Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 02/04/2014 01:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 02/04/2014 09:34 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> My own opinion is that I've already wasted untold man-hours thanks to
>>> the random porting problems induced by Windows, a platform that I never
>>> have and never will care about personally.  I will *not* spend my own
>>> time doing tests that someone else could do.  If we can't get some
>>> effort contributed by someone who does use that platform, I'm personally
>>> prepared to declare the entire damn thing no longer supported.
>> Although that is obviously your prerogative it is important to remember
>> that Windows is easily the second most used version of PostgreSQL out
>> there (behind Linux).
> [ shrug... ]  If it's so widely used, why is it so hard to find somebody
> who's willing to put in some development effort for it?

I suspect that the open hostility towards it doesn't help much. I do put
in quite alot of effort supporting it one way and another, committing
patches and running buildfarm members among other things. And we have
several others who put in significant amounts of effort. And no, it's
not my platform of choice either.

Anyway, I will explore my suggestion upthread of a pre-prepared windows
development AMI, when I have time. Right now between work for actual
money and things like jsonb I am slammed.

cheers

andrew