Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/19/14, 5:51 PM, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> Postgres is far from being the only application that wants this; many
>> >people resort to tmpfs because of this:
>> >https://lwn.net/Articles/499410/
> Yes, we covered the possibility of using tmpfs much earlier in the
> thread, and came to the conclusion that temp files can be larger
> than memory so tmpfs isn't the solution here.:)

Although... instead of inventing new APIs and foisting this work onto applications, perhaps it would be better to
modifytmpfs such that it can handle a temp space that's larger than memory... possibly backing it with X amount of real
diskand allowing it/the kernel to decide when to passively move files out of the in-memory tmpfs and onto disk.

Of course that's theoretically what swapping is supposed to do, but if that's not up to the job...
--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net