Re: Use environment variables in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Use environment variables in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/30/2013 3:54 PM, imagenesis@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible to use environment variables in postgresql.conf and
> perhaps related configuration files?
>
> For example, I would like to use an env variable to specify the data
> directory.

that specific case is generally handled not via postgresql.conf, but
rather by the arguments passed pg_ctl in the service
start/stop/restart/reload scripts.  on my RHEL platforms, its in turn
read from /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/$0 (where $0 is the service script name),
which in fact sets environment variables used by said service script.