Re: Use environment variables in postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Use environment variables in postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 06:54:31PM -0500, imagenesis@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible to use environment variables in postgresql.conf and perhaps
> related configuration files?
>
> For example, I would like to use an env variable to specify the data
> directory.

On top of what John Pierce says in the thread, I would very strongly
urge you not to do this.  It makes troubleshooting on failure
notoriously hard.  Use the mechanisms the start-up files do, I
suggest.

That said, see section 18 of the manual -- in particular, 18.1.3 in
the 9.3 manual ("Other ways to set parameters").  I recommend against
all that on the basis of some somewhat painful experience, but you can
do it that way.

If you're determined to do it, I _strongly_ suggest using several
different postgres.conf files and then only using the config_file
parameter to control this.  At least then you can look at what the
settings were when you have a crashed or otherwise troublesome system.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca