Re: additional json functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: additional json functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/17/2013 05:44 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> That would be one of the silliest and most short-sighted decisions we have
>> made in many years, IMNSHO. The demand for strong JSON support is enormous.
> One of the silliest and most short-sighted decisions we made recently
> might have been to actually ship that json variant in 9.2, after all.

The fact is that we had been going round and round on Json for a while,
and Robert Haas rightly made a move to break the Gordian knot. We would
not have done ourselves any service by not accepting it.

Hindsight is always 20-20, but even with what we have today people get
excited, and more people move to use Postgres every day because we have
that support.

> The most popular PostgreSQL commands in 9.4 are going to be:
>
>    $ sudo apt-get install postgresql-contrib-9.4
>
>    # create extension jstore;
>    # alter table foo alter column documents type jstore;
>    # create index on foo using gist(documents);

Umm, not if I have anything to do with it.

cheers

andrew