Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KONDO Mitsumasa
Subject Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(2013/10/13 0:14), Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> But maybe pglz is just not a good fit for this, it really
>> isn't a very good algorithm in this day and aage.
+1. This compression algorithm is needed more faster than pglz which is like
general compression algorithm, to avoid the CPU bottle-neck. I think pglz doesn't
have good performance, and it is like fossil compression algorithm. So we need to
change latest compression algorithm for more better future.

> Do you think that if WAL reduction or performance with other
> compression algorithm (for ex. snappy)  is better, then chances of
> getting the new compression algorithm in postresql will be more?
Latest compression algorithms papers(also snappy) have indecated. I think it is
enough to select algorithm. It may be also good work in postgres.

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center