Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist
Date
Re: Re: [BUGS] BUG #7873: pg_restore --clean tries to drop tables that don't exist  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-10-15 00:23:15 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 14.10.2013 23:44, Andres Freund wrote:

> >> This thread seems to have gone cold, but I'm inclined to agree with
> >> Pavel. If the table doesn't exist, neither does the trigger, and
> >> the whole point of the 'IF EXISTS' variants is to provide the
> >> ability to issue DROP commands that don't fail if their target is
> >> missing.
> >
> > -1, this seems to likely to just hide typos.
>
> Not sure I agree with your reasoning. Isn't that equally true for 'IF
> EXISTS' clause with all commands in general? Why should we use "likely
> to hide typos" argument in this case and not the others?

Because there simply is no reason to issue a DROP TRIGGER IF EXISTS if
you don't need the contents of the table. In that case you can just
issue a DROP TABLE IF EXISTS and start anew.

> The purpose of this patch was to add support for quiet "pg_restore
> --clean" and pg_restore should not do typos (if it does, we're in much
> deeper troubles I guess).

Why does that even have to do anything for triggers? Emitting DROP TABLE
should be enough.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services