Re: PostgreSQL Timeline - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Timeline
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 10/10/2013 00:13, damien clochard a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I think I'm almost finished with the "PostgreSQL forks timeline".
>
> Here's the current status :
> https://raw.github.com/daamien/artwork/master/inkscape/PostgreSQL_timeline/timeline_postgresql.png
>
> [...]
>
> Overall I learned a lot doing this timeline ! Here's a few comments that
> came to my mind during the process :

Another thing that strikes me is that the number of new forks is
decreasing.

- 7.x : 8 new forks (Telegraph, Netezza,...)
- 8.x : 14 new forks (Greenplum, ParAccel, HadoopDB,...)
- 9.x : 2 new forks (Postgres-XC,...)

Maybe it's just me that missed some new projects but what if I didn't ?

I can't find an explanation for this... With PostgreSQL gaining new
users everyday and all the awesome features the 9.x versions, I expected
to see more new projects launched in the past 3 years.

Maybe the new forks remain hidden. With cloud based services, you don't
have to the code you're running. Amazon claims that RedShift is based on
PostgreSQL 8.0 but they didn't have to. I guess there's a lot of Cloud
companies out there runing parts of PostgreSQL code and not talking
about it.

Or maybe it's because PostgreSQL extensibility has improved and people
don't need to create a new banches anymore. They just put their code in
an extension. PostGIS would be an example of that.

The irony is that the postgres page on github has currently 219 "forks"
:-) But at the end of the day, nothing really emerge from that.

Anyway if the number of new forks is really decreasing, I'm not sure
that's good news for us...