Re: PostgreSQL Timeline - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Timeline
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Damien,

> Maybe it's just me that missed some new projects but what if I didn't ?

Translattice, which is a fork of Postgres-R (with remerged code from
9.1) is currently missing from the chart.  It starts in 2008 and is ongoing.

Also, HadoopDB should fork into Hadapt in 2010.

> I can't find an explanation for this... With PostgreSQL gaining new
> users everyday and all the awesome features the 9.x versions, I expected
> to see more new projects launched in the past 3 years.

Five things:
1) the "transaction visibility" issue: most forks are startups, which
are not publically announced until years after they forked.

2) with additional PG features, there is less need to fork.

3) given the number of forks which are still a going concern, there is
less need for *new* forks.

4) the inceased acceptance of OSS in business environments has made
closed-source forking less attractive

5) we've lost some of the innovation to the new databases.  Unfortunate,
but inevitable.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.