Re: Commit problem in read-commited isolation level - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Commit problem in read-commited isolation level
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/15/2013 10:45 PM, S H wrote:

>  > Any triggers on the table?
> There are no trigger associated with this table.
>
>  > FYI 8.1 is no longer supported.
> I understand that. If there are some known related issues, it will be
> easy to convince, Product mgmt team to upgrade the version of postgresql.
>
> Are there known issues related to commit problem in 8.1 version.

Could be, there where 24 releases over five years. Just not sure at this
point you actually are facing a commit problem and more information is
needed in any case.

1) What is your exact Postgres version i.e 8.1.5.?

2) In your original post you had this sequence:

Current value in colname = 5;
Update tablename set colname = 0 where key = 18;
commit , in parallel to above queries ( either vacuum or reindex of
table was running)

After 10 sec following query is executed.
select colname from tablename where key = 18 ;it is returning old value
i.e colname = 5.
After another few seconds select colname from tablename where key = 18
;it is returning new value i.e colname = 5.

You say at the top the new value is 0, but show 5 as the new value at
the bottom.

Which is correct?

3) You also say it works fine in two environments, but not one.

What are the environments?
  OS and version, memory, Postgres versions, etc.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com