Re: need help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: need help
Date
thank you  (Basavaraj <basava247@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Basavaraj wrote
> i have two unrelated tables as their is no common column to apply joins or
> anything, so i want to join those tables...

I can understand being required to join them (for some unstated reason) but
a simple want does not seem a strong enough reason to go through the pain...

> ...using simple query...

If you have to join these tables together the complexity of the resultant
query should be irrelevant.  Furthermore how one defines "simple" is quite
subjective.

> finally the result shoule be
>
> name| address|email|mobileNo|firstname|lastName|
> abc   some1    mail1   1234564 def          xyz
>
> 5 records               |   10 records

> Very thankful for solution............

I have no clue what you mean when you indicate "5 records | 10 records" in
the final result.

I'm tempted to ask you leading questions but instead am going to ask that
you consider your goal more closely and be more explicit in your
description/request.

If you just want to go and play with it you can consider two possible

SELECT * FROM tbl1 CROSS JOIN tbl2 --(this will return X times Y rows - or
10 times 5 = 50)

or <not valid SQL, just an example>

SELECT *
FROM (SELECT row_number, * FROM tbl1) t1
FULL OUTER JOIN (SELECT row_number, * FROM tbl2) t2 USING (row_number)
-- this will return 10 rows with 5 of them containing NULL values for t1
columns where t2 has row numbers not existing in t1.

What you are doing, by the example given, is wrong.  Proposing an
alternative is impossible since you have not explained WHY you feel you need
to do this or WHAT you are actually trying to accomplish.

David J.