PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.
Date
Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.  (Toby Corkindale <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au>)
Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.  (Bosco Rama <postgres@boscorama.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I had the distinct displeasure of staying up entirely too late with a
customer this week because they upgraded to 12.04 and immediately
experienced a huge performance regression. In the process they also
upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.1 from 8.4. There were a lot of knobs to
change/fix/modify because of this. However, nothing I did fixed the
problem. Until... I upgraded the kernel.

Upgrading from 3.2Precise to the 3.9.4 kernel produced the following
results:

http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2013/06/the_steaming_pile_that_is_precise_with_kernel_32/

I have since verified this on more than one machine as well. Upgrading
the kernel has drastically reduced overall IOWAIT times.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579