Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Toby Corkindale
Subject Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/06/13 08:35, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I had the distinct displeasure of staying up entirely too late with a
> customer this week because they upgraded to 12.04 and immediately
> experienced a huge performance regression. In the process they also
> upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.1 from 8.4. There were a lot of knobs to
> change/fix/modify because of this. However, nothing I did fixed the
> problem. Until... I upgraded the kernel.
>
> Upgrading from 3.2Precise to the 3.9.4 kernel produced the following
> results:
>
> http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2013/06/the_steaming_pile_that_is_precise_with_kernel_32/
>

> I have since verified this on more than one machine as well. Upgrading
> the kernel has drastically reduced overall IOWAIT times.

I'd be curious to hear if the same problem applies to the 3.2 kernel
that's in the recently-released Debian "Wheezy"?

(My ubuntu precise boxes have been running the backported kernels for a
while, as it is, but some debian squeeze boxes are due to be upgraded to
debian wheezy soon)