Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/16/2013 05:41 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> DATA_built = sql/$(EXTENSION)--$(EXTVERSION).sql
>> DATA = $(filter-out sql/$(EXTENSION)--$(EXTVERSION).sql, $(wildcard
>> sql/*--*.sql))
>>
>> Is that right?
> I think that's still breaking VPATH builds because the widlcard call
> happens in the current tree, not in the VPATH (source) tree.
>
> And VPATH building of extension is crucially important for me, as the
> easiest way I've found to build and package a given extension against
> all currently supported version of PostgreSQL.
>
> I couldn't figure out how to allow for wildcard and whatnot in the
> extensions Makefile and have it work in all cases, including VPATH, so
> my current advice is to get rid of any dynamic code here and just plain
> copy and paste the file names you're interested into.

Is there documented support for VPATH builds? I know of an external
script that promises such support, but AFAIK there is nothing in our
code that supports it. If we're going to support this I suggest we do it
properly. I don't consider myself on the hook to support some external
build tool.

As for supporting multiple versions, I have given up supporting multiple
Postgres versions from a single set of sources, for FDWs at least. For
those I use a git branch that mirrors the corresponding Postgres branch.

cheers

andrew