Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/12/2013 7:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

> the real SLC drives end up OEM branded in large SAN systems, such as
> sold by Netapp, EMC, and are made by companies like STEC that have
> zero presence in the 'whitebox' resale markets like Newegg.

Agreed. I don't go near the likes of Simple, HGST, F-IO, SMART, et al.
For me this is SAS and SCSI re-born -- an excuse to charge very high
prices for a product not significantly different from a much cheaper
mainstream alternative, by exploiting unsophisticated purchasers with
tales of enterprise snake oil.

ymmv, but since I am spending my own $$, I'll stick to product I can
order from the likes of Newegg and Amazon.