Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 5/12/2013 6:13 PM, David Boreham wrote:

> Not quite. More like : a) I don't know where to buy SLC drives in 2013
> (all the drives for example for sale on newegg.com are MLC) and b)
> today's MLC drives are quite good enough for me (and I'd venture to
> say any database-related purpose).

Newegg wouldn't know 'enterprise' if it bit them.   they just sell mass
market consumer stuff and gamer kit.

the real SLC drives end up OEM branded in large SAN systems, such as
sold by Netapp, EMC, and are made by companies like STEC that have zero
presence in the 'whitebox' resale markets like Newegg.