Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Deploying PostgreSQL on CentOS with SSD and Hardware RAID
Date
List pgsql-general
btw we deploy on CentOS6. The only things we change from the default are:

1. add "relatime,discard" options to the mount (check whether the most
recent CentOS6 does this itself -- it didn't back when we first deployed
on 6.0).
2. Disable swap. This isn't strictly an SSD tweak, since we have enough
physical memory to not need to swap, but it is a useful measure for us
since the default install always creates a swap partition which a) uses
valuable space on the smaller-sized SSDs, and b) if there are ever
writes to the swap partition it would be bad for wear on the entire drive.

We also setup monitoring of the drives' smart wear counter to ensure
early warning of any drive coming close to wear out.
We do not use (and don't like) RAID with SSDs.